Letters to Editors, Newspaper Articles & Recent Tweets
A selection of letters to editors and opinion pieces in newspapers and Tweets.
Although very ineffectual in debating complex issues, letters are virtually the only access most individuals have to the media, the wider community, and to contribute to the wider debate.
Opinion pieces allow much greater discussion and nuanced argument but are generally restricted to well know identities, or prominent leaders in relevant fields and not available to lesser mortals no matter how qualified the individuals may be.
To access Twitter feeds type @fagandr1 into our web browser.
Currently Unpublished Letters to Editors
Sent to The Australian Newspaper 13/11/2018
Typical of the low quality science generated by the IPCC and others, is their ignorance of, or inability to explain how the Earth’s climate for at least the last billion years has been held consistently at a temperature 2-3 degrees warmer than presently experienced. See graphical data for the last billion years at www.dr-robert-fagan.com . Depicted are only six very brief (ice age related-episodes) where Earth temperatures have ever been at the purported optimum target, arbitrarily identified by the IPCC, yet they believe this to be the norm.
Warming is occurring, it is natural, a re-adjustment taking us back to normal but warmer conditions. It is not an existential threat and is definitely not controlled by a few 100 ppm of CO2, but the all-powerful dynamic thermal equilibrium on display in the graphed data, controlled for billions of years by the Sun’s remarkably stable thermonuclear energy output. We could not be in safer hands.
Dr Robert Fagan
A Letter to the Editor that I would like to see published.
RE-ESTABLISHING CARBON DIOXIDE'S TRASHED REPUTATION
The fact that global warming is occurring, but is due to a natural re-equilibration to longer-term warmer conditions following a recent cooling event, all driven by the sun, means that global warming is not due to atmospheric CO2 or any other man-made influence. Why pro-warming scientists and the IPCC have completely ignored this absolutely crucial evidence and its implication defies comprehension.
IT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD THAT ATMOSPHERIC CO2 PLAYS NO ROLE WHATS-SO-EVER IN GLOBAL WARMING.
Because of the present toxic attitude to CO2 it would be difficult for the general and even most in the scientific community to believe any of the following claims.
CO2 is a hugely beneficial atmospheric gas that needs a complete rethink and further study. It offers considerable potential for a great many unrecognized benefits for mankind in the future, particularly as a unique and extremely efficient fertilizer and essential plant food and nutrient. At he present time plants and vegetation are are starved of adequate CO2 for optimum growth and development. In the last billion years atmospheric CO2 levels have dropped from some 3000 pm to around 300 ppm (now increased to 400 ppm). This is a massive reduction of 90%, most of which has gone permanently into marine limestones as we approach the limit of CO2 viability for vegetation. Further CO2 mitigation would put additional stress on vegetation and agriculture.
CO2 is delivered automatically directly from the atmosphere to plants world wide, 24 hours per day, absolutely free. If we doubled atmospheric CO2 to 800 ppm, we could effectively double agricultural production on land and in the oceans, world wide virtually over night. Man-made atmospheric CO2 contributions over the last 30 years or so have noticeably and significantly contributed to the greening of the planet.
CO2 is very stable, recyclable and as a fertilizer and an atmospheric gas, effectively delivers itself to where it is needed.
CO2 is a colourless, odourless , tasteless, and non-toxic at levels up to a few thousand ppm. Its benign character is reinforced by its abundant use and presence in all carbonated drinks and foods and the 38,000 ppm consistently in our lungs.
CO2 is a minor atmospheric gas sourced most readily from the burning of coal. Its abundance is largely depleting in the environment, although there is virtually an inexhaustible supply of it retired in fossil fuels available for reuse and recirculation.
CO2 as a commercial product can be delivered in gaseous, liquid or in solid form.
As CO2 is not a contributor to global warming, and is not a noxious exhaust gas but is environmentally beneficial, we can cheaply burn organic fuels such as coal largely with impunity for energy and electrical generation purposes. We no longer have to remove CO2 as a noxious exhaust gas, as it is in fact beneficial and not a problem waste product. We in effect already have "clean coal".
CO2 is a major and essential component of coral reefs (44 weight percent). In fact if we doubled atmospheric CO2 levels to 800 ppm we could double the amount of coral reefs in existence.
The blackening of the name and reputation of CO2, and the almost universal ignorance science has of its important role and function as a beneficial atmospheric gas, almost beggars belief. The vast amount of energy and resources devoted to completely misunderstanding the role of CO2 and the willful ignorance displayed by those responsible is appalling. It may be difficult to undo this damage.
Dr Robert Fagan
SOME THOUGHT PROVOKING TWEETS
(Bob Fagan 2020, Twitter tag @fagandr1 )
- More than 50% of the world's landmass experiences extreme life-threatening cold for at least 6 months of the year. The other 50% does not experience any life-threatening climate at all. Where is the global warming threat in this? We need to address real-world problems , not man -made nonsense.
- CO2 is absolutely essential for photosynthesis, for all vegetation, & for all life. CO2 is more fundamental the O2, but @ 0.04%, not 20%. There is no conclusive evidence that CO2 has ever influenced the worlds climate in the 4.5 billion year geological or climate record.
- The 400 ppm CO2 in the present atmosphere is all that is available to support ll the existing & all the future life that will ever exist if we do not preserve & increase it. Burning fossil fuels is the only realistic way of increase life-giving CO2. Mitigation will reduce CO@ & reduce life.
- The economic future of the world hangs on CO2 being the climate trigger. Are e prepared to risk so much for an unproven concept, seriously questioned by leading scientists in atmospheric physics, & lacking evidence in the geological & climate record over millions of years?
- We need a global-scale, high-level, thorough, scientific investigation into the role of atmospheric CO2 in climate, as a critical life-affirming gas, & it' serious long-term depletion & future. Top physicists, chemists, geologists & climatologists all need to be involve now.
- We cannot risk so much on such a poorly understood concept that so few have an adequate understanding of, & that is so strongly contested The theory is unproven, cannot be verified in experiments, modelling or prediction, & does not accord with the well-known & established geological & climate record.
- The simplest effective climate plan involving the least cost & damage would be to do nothing & revert to 1990 energy generation technologies. It will save vast trove of money & wont change the climate, because nothing will. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It ain't broke, CO2 is a valuable harmless life giving gas.
- Mass climate hysteria, aided by a compliant media, & irrational decision & policy making, are the biggest threats to the globe. The weak minded have inherited the Earth& are about to destroy it & those who know better seem impotent. Where are the strong decisive leaders we need?
- We should disregard anything climate alarmists say until they get at least one "end-of-the-world" prediction right. Until then they have no credibility.
- Every "end-of-the-world" prophesy since the beginning of time has one thing in common. Not one of them has ever come true So far.
- Let's see if renewable power can maintain a major steel or aluminium plant, a city of greater than 200,000, mid-winter, at latitudes greater than 40 degrees, for more than 30 years at comparative costs for coal.
- The reputation of 400 yrs of the finest quality science has been trashed by 30 yrs of climate science, green idiocy, UN irrelevance, a failed 2ndry & Tertiary education system producing politicians & a general population that could not find it's arse with both hands & a map.
- Atmospheric CO2 is a critical issue. Is it a climate problem or not? If not that would completely change the direction of the debate. Climate science models & theory says it is. Geological & climate history recorded in the rock record says it is not. One of these must be wrong. One is based on contested theory & modeling with a poor track record. The other based on physical evidence recorded over 100's of million yrs in the Earth's rock record. The latter suggests we've been here many times before & survived, & CO2 is irrelevant. Why's geology ignored?
- We did have a civilizations over the last 10,000 yrs & survived 10 such warming events, & particularly flourished in warm periods. https://pic.twitter.com/3DM7DFTTAC
- All coal is clean coal as CO2 is not a pollutant & does not change the climate. Fossil fuels are the cheapest, cleanest, most efficient energy source available. Renewables are wholly inferior. CO2 mitigation programs dangerously deplete life-giving CO2.
- Anyone who believes that atmospheric CO2 above current levels are a serious survival threat, when part of the lowest range of atmospheric CO2 in the last billion years, has some serious explaining to do. How did life survive even the last 140 million years? pic.twitter.com/2RZzBMzrZ5 .
- Every C atom in every living thing, past, present, or future originated from atmospheric CO2, as did all the O2. CO2 will all inevitably end up in limestone (44% CO2), only 415 ppm left. Then every living thing is dead forever. We need to recycle used CO2 by burning fossil fuel.
- All coal is clean coal as CO2 is not a pollutant & does not change the climate. All things being taken into account, fossil fuels are the cheapest, cleanest, most efficient energy source available. Intermittent renewables and batteries are wholly inferior. CO2 mitigation programs dangerously deplete life-giving CO2.
- The current warming is just one of a 1000 year interglacial warming & cooling cycle. These are like seasonal climate events, not like yearly winter-summer cycles, but mega regular 1000 year cycles. We do not seem to recognise this very long-term climate regularity as natural.
- We are talking about a frighteningly large proportion of our population, particularly the better educated. So easily misled, then misleading others, frightening children, badgering, defaming, de-platforming, censoring & blacklisting opponents. Do you think they will repent when proven wrong?